Mark your calendars for June 22! Head over to Custer, Montana, for the 13th annual Custer Ranch Rodeo and the 2nd Annual Junction City Days.

The Custer Ranch Rodeo has a tradition of ranching authenticity. Organizers and contestants anticipate this event every year for the reunion aspect.

“We invite friends old and new to rope and ride and visit and show off new babies, new horses and new saddles,” says the Custer Ranch Rodeo Committee.

Twelve teams compete in events that mimic tasks on the range. Every four-person team must have at least one female or male member. The teams competing are Sand Springs Cattle, The Rounders, Fink Quarter Horses, Montana Ranch Horse Association, Circle B, Hook Ranch, Rowdy Alexander & Crew, S Ranch, Trail Creek Land & Livestock, Rope ‘n Choke Cattle Co., Sergeant Performance Horses, and one more team that has yet to be determined.

After the ranch rodeo will be a Muley Team Roping. The roping will be open to anybody with two divisions: Open (dally on slick horns only) and mixed (for ladies, ropers under 15-years-old, ropers over 60-years-old and the team may include one open roper). Ropers can enter twice in the open and twice in the mixed, but must switch partners each time. The cost is $100 a run, for one head. The jackpot will be 75 percent of entries in each division, the remaining 25 percent will benefit the arena. Cattle will leave from the bucking chute, a flag will drop to signal start time and time will stop when the rope on the heels comes tight. The header does not have to face up, but there is a three loop limit. This is a great event for the whole family.

Before the ranch rodeo are events to celebrate the 2nd Annual Junction City Days. Friday night enjoy backyard games and dinner by The Fort at the park.

The morning of the June 22 is a free breakfast from the Peg-A-Way 4-H club at Junction City Memorial Park from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.

The Bed Races, a wild event where decorating is highly encouraged, runs down main street at 10 a.m. and are not to be missed. Followed by the parade at 11 a.m. The Ranch Rodeo Grand Entry and Calcutta begins at noon. When the dirt settles in the arena, the Junction City Saloon hosts a street dance until the wee hours of the night.

Gate admission is by donation. Proceeds from the gate go towards arena upkeep and improvements. In 2008, the rodeo committee decided to take action towards the weakening arena. Community members, contestants, friends and families have dedicated their effort and time to various improvement projects.

To get to the Custer Arena, turn north off I-94 at Custer, cross the Yellowstone River, continue half a mile, turn left on Buffalo Creek Road.

“There are a few rules that make the CRR different from other ranch rodeos. There are prizes to take home, and there is money to be won. But our big hope is that all the work it takes to put the event together results in a fun day for contestants and spectators every year.”

The winning team from the Custer Ranch Rodeo will compete at the NILE Ranch Rodeo Finals October 13 at 7 p.m. in Billings, Montana. The NILE is proud to have the Custer Ranch Rodeo as one of its sanctioning partners.

For more information visit the Facebook page or call Tami Blake at 406-354-6012.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.