Kansas

The Dec. 1 inventory for hogs and pigs on Kansas farms totaled 1.57 million head, up 8% from Dec. 1, 1999, and 1% above Sept. 1, 2000, says the Kansas Agricultural Statistics Service.

Hogs and pigs kept for breeding purposes totaled 160,000 head, up 7% from last year and 3% above Sept. 1, 2000. Breeding stock accounted for 10% of all hogs and pigs. Market hogs accounted for the remaining 90% of the total inventory, at 1.41 million head. Market hog inventory was 8% above a year ago, but essentially unchanged from Sept. 1, 2000. Market hogs weighing less than 60 pounds totaled 495,000 head, down 5% from a year ago. The 60- to 119-pound weight group, at 310,000 head, was unchanged from 1999. The 120- to 179-pound weight group totaled 235,000 head, up 2% from a year ago. The 180 pound and over weight group, at 370,000 head, was up 48% from a year ago.

The June to November pig crop totaled 1,436,000 head, 3% above a year ago. Sows farrowing during this period, at 165,000, were up 3% from the same period a year ago, with an average litter rate of 8.70. June to August farrowings of 84,000 sows were 2% above a year ago, with an average of 8.80 pigs per litter. Farrowings during September to November totaled 81,000 sows, a 4% increase from the previous year, with a litter rate of 8.60 pigs.

Kansas farmers intend to farrow 78,000 sows in the December to February quarter, up 5% from the preceding year. For the March to May quarter, expected farrowings are estimated at 78ows, up 3% from last year.

The number of operations with hogs totaled 1,600 during 2000, down 16% from last year and 38% below 1998. In 2000, operations with 500 head or more accounted for 24% of the total operations and 95% of the inventory. In 1999, operations with 500 head or more accounted for 21% of the total operations and 91% of the inventory.

In 2000, operations with 2000 head or more accounted for 7.2% of the total operations and 81% of the inventory. In 1999, 6.3% of the operations had inventories over 2,000 head and accounted for 79% of the inventory.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.