Extemporaneous Public Speaking
- Any FFA member may participate as long as they: a) are currently enrolled in high school agriculture; b) have not placed first in state competition previously.
- Each district may have five competitors in the State Event.
- It is highly recommended that participant's be in official FFA dress as defined in the current Official FFA Manual.
- The selection of topics will be held 30 minutes before the event. The participants will draw three specific topics, selected at random from the pool of 12, relating to the industry of agriculture. After selecting the topic they desire to speak on, all three topics will be returned for the next drawing.
- Twelve topics will be prepared by the event superintendent and will include three each from the following categories: a) agriscience and technology b) agrimarketing and international agricultural relations c) food and fiber systems d) urban agriculture.
- Participants will be admitted to the preparation room at 15-minute intervals and given exactly 30 minutes for topic selection and preparation.
- The officials in charge of the event on the following basis will screen reference material:
- must be limited to five items.
- must be printed material such as books or magazines and/or a compilation of collected materials. To be counted as one item, a notebook or folder of collected materials may contain NO more than 100 single sided pages or 50 pages double sided numbered consecutively (cannot be notes or speeches prepared by the participant or notes prepared by another person for the purpose of use in this event).
- Each speech should be the result of the participant's own effort using approved reference material which the participant may bring to the preparation room. No other assistance may be provided. Participants must use the uniform note cards provided. Any notes for speaking must be made during the 30-minute preparation period.
- Each speech should be not less than four and no more than six minutes in length, with five minutes additional time allowed for related questions which will be asked by the judges. The room monitor will introduce the participant by name and chapter, and the participant may introduce his or her speech by title only. Participants are to be penalized one point per second on each judge's score sheet for being over six minutes or under four minutes. Time commences when the speaker begins talking. Speakers may use a watch to keep a record of their time. Event officials or observers will give no time warnings.
- Event officials will randomly draw speaking order. The program chairman will introduce each participant by name and in order of the drawing. A participant will be permitted to use notes while speaking, but deductions in scoring may be made for this practice if it detracts from the effectiveness of the presentation. Applause shall be withheld until all participants have spoken.
Explanation of Score Sheet Points
Total points of 1,000 will be used, broken down as:
- Content Related to Topic (300 points)
Organization of Material (100 points)
- Appropriateness of the total speech content to the topic selected
- Extent to which the speaker addressed the topic selected
- Suitability of the material used
- Accuracy of the statements included
Power of Expression (100 points)
- Organization of the content
- Unity of thought
- Logical development
- Language used
- Sentence structure
- Accomplishment of purpose-conclusions
- Material related to sub-topic
Voice (100 points)
- Communicative ability
- Conveyance of thought and meaning
Stage Presence (100 points)
General Effect (100 points)
- Personal appearance
- Poise and body posture
- Ease before audience
Response to Questions (100 Points)
- Extent to which the speech was interesting, understandable, convincing,
pleasing and held attention
- Evidence of purpose
- Ability to answer the questions on the speech, which are asked by the judges, indicating originality, familiarity with subject and ability to think quickly.
Contestants will be assigned a speaking order by the CDE coordinator.
Failure to appear at the CDE room at the appointed time will result in disqualification unless the CDE coordinator is notified before the appointed time.
Plaques for top four speakers:
- 1st- $100 cash award, certificate and plaque
- 2nd- $50 cash award and plaque
- 3rd- $25 cash award and plaque
- 4th- $25 cash award and plaque