0609NRCSDroughtAssistancesr.cfm Malatya Haber Kansas NRCS provides assistance to producers in drought areas
Home News Livestock Crops Markets Hay, Range & Pasture Home & Family Classifieds Resources This Week's Journal
Commerical Hay Equipment For The Farm
Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizer

Farm Survey

Journal Getaways

Reader Comment:
by jJane

"Thanks for sharing this story!"....Read the story...
Join other discussions.

Kansas NRCS provides assistance to producers in drought areas

Eric Banks, state conservationist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service in Kansas, announced that NRCS has assistance available for producers in Kansas suffering from ongoing drought conditions. Drought recovery funding assistance will be under the Environmental Quality Incentives Program.

This assistance will be available for land where any portion of the county has been designated a D3 (Extreme) or D4 (Exceptional) drought zone according to the U.S. Drought Monitor map as of May 27. Contact your local NRCS office for specific drought area designation.

Kansas has received an additional $300,000 drought recovery allocation for existing unfunded EQIP applications. This may be a source of additional assistance to producers to mitigate the short-term or long-term effects of the drought.

“It’s important for livestock producers to have a contingency plan which addresses drought in ways such as deferred or rotational grazing, alternative water sources, combining herds, or possibly reducing livestock numbers,” said Banks. Conservation plans can include decisions made which address the impacts of drought, or better yet, alternatives to prepare land for drought when climatic conditions are favorable. NRCS has grazing specialists that provide recommendations about range and pasture management and options to consider for forage and water management.

EQIP offers financial and technical assistance to eligible participants to install or implement structural and management practices on eligible agricultural land. Conservation practices must be implemented to NRCS standards and specifications. In Kansas, socially disadvantaged, limited resource, and beginning farmers and ranchers will receive a higher payment rate for eligible conservation practices applied. For applicants wishing to install practices prior to receiving a funded contract, a waiver from the State Conservationist must be obtained at the local USDA Service Center.

Additional information about drought resources is located on the Kansas NRCS drought website at www.ks.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/drought/ or stop by your local USDA Service Center and visit the NRCS office.

Date: 7/14/2014

Web hpj.com

Copyright 1995-2014.  High Plains Publishers, Inc.  All rights reserved.  Any republishing of these pages, including electronic reproduction of the editorial archives or classified advertising, is strictly prohibited. If you have questions or comments you can reach us at
High Plains Journal 1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd., P.O. Box 760, Dodge City, KS 67801 or call 1-800-452-7171. Email: webmaster@hpj.com


Archives Search

NCBA Convention

United Sorghum Checkoff Program

Inside Futures

Editorial Archives

Browse Archives