Malatya Haber Dealing with livestock losses
Home News Livestock Crops Markets Hay, Range & Pasture Home & Family Classifieds Resources This Week's Journal
Commerical Hay Equipment For The Farm
Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizer

New Video's 03/13/2014
Cattlemen's Video Center

Farm Survey

Journal Getaways

Reader Comment:
by Eliza Winters

"I think that the new emission standards are a great move. I think that the"....Read the story...
Join other discussions.

Dealing with livestock losses

The South Dakota Department of Agriculture reminds producers who have lost livestock during the recent blizzard to document losses. Proper documentation is critical to ensure processing of potential claims.

“This early season, record setting blizzard is devastating to our producers and our thoughts are with them,” said Secretary of Agriculture Lucas Lentsch. “We are working to coordinate with ag industry stakeholders to establish and execute a response plan.”

SDDA is working closely with the Office of Emergency Management, Animal Industry Board, Brand Board and Governor’s Office on recovery efforts.

Documentation of

livestock losses

Documentation of livestock losses is critical. Documentation will help emergency authorities understand the scope of the impact of this storm and help you as producers to file claims and receive potential compensation for losses.

Producers should document all livestock losses with pictures of carcasses, vaccination and hauling receipts and records, or any other records such as tags, Bangs clips, etc.

Third-party verification of losses is recommended and can be a simple piece of paper explaining the facts and signed. This can come from a veterinarian, a local law enforcement official or even an arms-length third party such as a neighbor or pastor. Family members or hired employees are not considered third-party.

If you have questions regarding livestock identification, contact the South Dakota Brand Board at 605-773-3324.

Disposal and identification of livestock carcasses

The South Dakota Animal Industry Board will be coordinating disposal of livestock carcasses. Brand Board inspectors will be involved in identifying livestock and livestock carcasses and will document these losses and ownership. Call the Animal Industry Board at 605-773-3321.

For carcass disposal information, contact the AIB at 605-773-3321. Disposal guidelines are available at

A large-scale effort to gather carcasses from the roadways has begun. Contact your county emergency management or the Animal Industry Board for details or to report livestock for removal.

Help document the loss of livestock found on your property that don’t belong to you before disposing of those carcasses with photographs or by calling Emergency Management or a brand inspector.

Human stress and mental health

Don’t forget to take care of yourself and your family members.

Self-worth is not tied to net worth. These tragic losses are not your fault and don’t reflect on your capabilities as a rancher or as a person.

Individuals experiencing disaster-related stress should contact a local community health provider or call Youth and Family Services in Rapid City at 605-342-4195 or 605-342-4870. Information is also available at

Reporting loss of livestock

Reporting losses will help us manage the situation across the state but also help us to identify livestock ownership of animals that strayed in the storm.

Affected producers should contact their local county emergency manager: Bennett County—Jeff Siscoe, 605-685-5994; Butte County—Martha Wierzbicki, 605-569-2766; Corson County—Brad Schell, 605-273-4481; Custer County—Mike Carter, 605-673-8152; Fall River County—Frank Maynard, 605-745-7562; Haakon County—Lola Roseth, 605-567-3515; Harding County—Kathy Glines, 605-375-3313; Jackson County—Jackie Stilwell, 605-488-0334; Jones County—Angie Kinsley, 605-669-7101; Lawrence County—Paul Thomson, 605-578-2122; Meade County—Angella Sutton, 605-347-7623; Mellette County—Karen O’Brien, 605-259-3371; Pennington County—Dustin Willett, 605-394-2185; Perkins County—Kelly Serr, 605-224-5243; Shannon County—Frank Maynard, 605-745-7562; Todd County—Kara Walking, 605-429-3246; and Ziebach County—Mike Burgee, 605-365-5129.

Date: 10/14/2013


Copyright 1995-2014.  High Plains Publishers, Inc.  All rights reserved.  Any republishing of these pages, including electronic reproduction of the editorial archives or classified advertising, is strictly prohibited. If you have questions or comments you can reach us at
High Plains Journal 1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd., P.O. Box 760, Dodge City, KS 67801 or call 1-800-452-7171. Email:


Archives Search

NCBA Convention

United Sorghum Checkoff Program

Inside Futures

Editorial Archives

Browse Archives