Malatya Haber Consider planting sunflower on failed wheat acres
Home News Livestock Crops Markets Hay, Range & Pasture Home & Family Classifieds Resources This Week's Journal
Commerical Hay Equipment For The Farm
Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizer

Farm Survey

Journal Getaways

Reader Comment:
by Wheat_Harvest movie

"Thanks so much for the article! These are the types of people we hope to"....Read the story...
Join other discussions.

Consider planting sunflower on failed wheat acres

Most wheat farmers in central and western South Dakota are now faced with deciding what to do with a winter wheat crop having limited yield potential. Much of the crop went into dry soils and did not germinate or emerge in the fall. What did come up was thin and late. Producers who have winter wheat acres that are in dire straits may want to consider sunflower if their wheat crop is “zeroed out.”

The USDA Risk Management Agency will allow a second crop to be planted and insured on failed acres. Producers who choose to plant a second crop would receive 35 percent of their indemnity payment with the remaining 65 percent withheld until the sunflowers are harvested. If a loss occurs with the sunflowers, the producer is eligible to choose between taking the remaining indemnity payment for the wheat loss or take the indemnity for the sunflower loss. Contact your local insurance agent to check out this option.

Date: 5/20/2013


Copyright 1995-2014.  High Plains Publishers, Inc.  All rights reserved.  Any republishing of these pages, including electronic reproduction of the editorial archives or classified advertising, is strictly prohibited. If you have questions or comments you can reach us at
High Plains Journal 1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd., P.O. Box 760, Dodge City, KS 67801 or call 1-800-452-7171. Email:


Archives Search

NCBA Convention

United Sorghum Checkoff Program

Inside Futures

Editorial Archives

Browse Archives