0307NewEPAFarmFuelRegulationssr.cfm Malatya Haber New EPA farm fuel-tank regulations start May 10
Home News Livestock Crops Markets Hay, Range & Pasture Home & Family Classifieds Resources This Week's Journal
Commerical Hay Equipment For The Farm
Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizer

Farm Survey

Journal Getaways

Reader Comment:
by Wheat_Harvest movie

"Thanks so much for the article! These are the types of people we hope to"....Read the story...
Join other discussions.

New EPA farm fuel-tank regulations start May 10


Those who store fuel, oil, crop oil, hydraulic oil, surfactant, adjuvant and other materials on farms or ranches must comply with EPA-mandated Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure plans by May 10.

The EPA’s new SPCC rule includes requirements for oil spill prevention, preparedness and response to prevent oil discharges to navigable waters and adjoining shorelines.

“The SPCC regulations apply to any farm if an oil spill from your farm could reasonably be expected to reach water,” said Sandra Frost, UW Extension educator. “Many farmers and ranchers will find it simple to comply with EPA regulations while others, with larger tanks on one parcel of land, will have to hire a certified engineer and build berms or dikes.”

Those who store more than 1,320 gallons in aboveground tanks (55 gallons or more each), or 42,000 gallons in buried tanks on one parcel of land, are subject to SPCC regulations.

“Do not add together the storage capacity on different parcels you own or lease,” said Frost. “A farm may have a plan for each parcel where storage exceeds 1,320 gallons.”

The plan includes requirements for measures such as security, employee training, overfill prevention (alarms), system inspection, emergency contacts and secondary containment (dikes, remote impoundments, or double-walled tanks) if required.

“In many cases, farmers can write a simple plan by writing down what they already do and have in place,” said Frost.

Tier I farms and ranches are those with 10,000 gallons or less of aboveground storage capacity and in the three years before developing and certifying a plan had no oil spills to water larger than 1,000 gallons in a single spill or 42 gallons each from two spills within any 12-month period and that have no aboveground oil storage containers with a capacity greater than 5,000 gallons.

“You may use the short SPCC Plan template to create your SPCC Plan and self-certify,” said Frost.

Tier II farms and ranches are defined the same except they have aboveground tanks larger than 5,000 gallons requiring certification by a professional engineer.

“Create a full SPCC Plan and self-certify,” said Frost. “Tanks larger than 5,000 gallons will require emergency berms, dikes or other containment systems.”

For sample forms and blank templates for Tier I and Tier II farms and ranches, go to epa.gov and type SPCC for Agriculture in the Search field. Click on the SPCC for Agriculture link.

“Sign and put the plan document in your office desk drawer,” said Frost. “This written plan must be reviewed and updated when your farm fuel equipment changes. Employee training and inspections must belogged on it. It must be reviewed at least every five years.”

Contact Frost with questions at 307-754-8836 or email her at sfrost1@uwyo.edu.

Date: 5/13/2013

Web hpj.com

Copyright 1995-2014.  High Plains Publishers, Inc.  All rights reserved.  Any republishing of these pages, including electronic reproduction of the editorial archives or classified advertising, is strictly prohibited. If you have questions or comments you can reach us at
High Plains Journal 1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd., P.O. Box 760, Dodge City, KS 67801 or call 1-800-452-7171. Email: webmaster@hpj.com


Archives Search

NCBA Convention

United Sorghum Checkoff Program

Inside Futures

Editorial Archives

Browse Archives