0716WindbreakRenovationFundsdbsr.cfm Malatya Haber Nebraska NRCS announces availability of funds for windbreak renovations
Home News Livestock Crops Markets Hay, Range & Pasture Home & Family Classifieds Resources This Week's Journal
Commerical Hay Equipment For The Farm
Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizer

Farm Survey

Journal Getaways

Reader Comment:
by jJane

"Thanks for sharing this story!"....Read the story...
Join other discussions.

Nebraska NRCS announces availability of funds for windbreak renovations

The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service has funding available for landowners and operators to restore windbreaks in Nebraska. Funds and technical assistance is currently available from NRCS through their cooperative conservation partnership incentive program.

Windbreaks are one or more rows of trees or shrubs planted to provide shelter from the wind and to protect soil from erosion. They are commonly planted around the edges of fields on farms. If designed properly, windbreaks around a home can reduce the cost of heating and cooling and save energy. Other benefits include providing habitat for wildlife.

According to Nebraska NRCS forester Constance Miller, several windbreaks in the state have received heavy tree loss, and are in need of renovation.

“Windbreaks that were planted to help protect cropland, farmsteads and livestock have suffered heavy tree losses due to dry conditions, disease and age,” Miller said. “This program can help landowners reestablish trees and get these windbreaks back to providing protection from the wind and heat in the summer and capturing snow and blocking the cold in the winter.”

Interested individuals may file an application at any time, but the ranking of applications on hand to receive funding will begin Aug. 14. The first step is to visit your local NRCS field office and complete an application.

For more than 75 years, the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service has helped agricultural producers with conservation plans. NRCS Conservationists will work with landowners on their farm or ranch to develop a conservation plan based on resource goals. Conservation planning assistance is free and does not require participation in financial programs.

For more information about this and the other conservation programs available through NRCS, visit your local USDA Service Center or www.ne.nrcs.usda.gov.

Date: 7/29/2013

Web hpj.com

Copyright 1995-2014.  High Plains Publishers, Inc.  All rights reserved.  Any republishing of these pages, including electronic reproduction of the editorial archives or classified advertising, is strictly prohibited. If you have questions or comments you can reach us at
High Plains Journal 1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd., P.O. Box 760, Dodge City, KS 67801 or call 1-800-452-7171. Email: webmaster@hpj.com


Archives Search

NCBA Convention

United Sorghum Checkoff Program

Inside Futures

Editorial Archives

Browse Archives