0125FreeKSTaxHelpsr.cfm 0125FreeKSTaxHelpsr.cfm Malatya Haber Free help preparing taxes available throughout the state
Home News Livestock Crops Markets Hay, Range & Pasture Home & Family Classifieds Resources This Week's Journal
Commerical Hay Equipment For The Farm
Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizer

Farm Survey

Journal Getaways

Reader Comment:
by ohio bo

"An excellent essay on fairs that brought back many memories for me. In my part"....Read the story...
Join other discussions.

Free help preparing taxes available throughout the state


Free E-File income tax preparation help will be available at sites across Kansas as of Jan. 28.

One of the largest sites will be at the Docking State Office Building, 915 SW Harrison St., Room 163.

The assistance sites are a partnership between the Kansas Department of Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, called VITA.

Community IRS trained and certified volunteers will be on site to help complete electronically filed Federal and State individual income tax returns and limited Kansas Homestead Claims & Property Tax Relief Claims. The program offers tax help to low- and moderate-income people, generally earning $51,000 or less, who cannot prepare their own tax returns.

The volunteer tax preparers can help with special credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled for which some filers may qualify.

The Docking site will be open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday through the April 15 filing deadline.

AARP Kansas also offers Tax-Aide through the IRS-sponsored Tax Counseling for the Elderly program at additional sites throughout Kansas. Those sites provide free tax help to people who are 60 years and older.

Items taxpayers should bring with them to have their tax returns prepared include:

--A copy of last year's federal and state income tax return, if they have one;

--Photo identification for the taxpayer and their spouse;

--Birth dates and Social Security cards, or a Social Security letter with the full number, for the taxpayer, spouse and any children in the household born before Dec. 31, 2012;

--Wage and earning statements such as W-2 forms from all employers; W-2G gambling income; and 1099(R) from pension, annuity, retirement or profit-sharing plans, IRAs, and insurance contract distributions; interest and dividend statements from banks (form 1099 INT); unemployment insurance benefit statements received any time in 2012 (1099-G); and all other 1098 and 1099 forms;

--Statements received from a mortgage company during 2012;

--College expense information for college students;

--Other relevant information about income and expenses such as total amount paid for day care and the day care provider's federal identifying number, and any notices sent to the taxpayer by the IRS in 2012;

--Workers with Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers should bring the ITIN card sent to them by the IRS; and

--Renters applying for a Homestead Claim must bring the name, address and phone number of every landlord to whom they paid rent in 2012.

Both spouses must be present to sign the required forms if they are filing jointly and bank routing numbers and account numbers must be provided to have the refund deposited directly into a checking or savings account.

The department's year-round Taxpayer Assistance Center is located in room 150 of the Docking Building. It also offers Kansas income tax return and homestead claim assistance and is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

No appointment is required at either location, and assistance is provided on first-come, first-served basis. For more information, call the Kansas Department of Revenue at 785-368-8222.

To locate the nearest VITA site, call 800-906-9887. A list of AARP Kansas Tax-Aide sites is available by calling 1-888-227-7669. A listing of times, locations and services offered for Shawnee County is available at http://www.shawnee.ksu.edu.

Date: 2/4/2013

Web hpj.com

Copyright 1995-2014.  High Plains Publishers, Inc.  All rights reserved.  Any republishing of these pages, including electronic reproduction of the editorial archives or classified advertising, is strictly prohibited. If you have questions or comments you can reach us at
High Plains Journal 1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd., P.O. Box 760, Dodge City, KS 67801 or call 1-800-452-7171. Email: webmaster@hpj.com


Archives Search

NCBA Convention

United Sorghum Checkoff Program

Inside Futures

Editorial Archives

Browse Archives