0211SDcropreportMRko.cfm Malatya Haber Producers continue to cope with drought
Home News Livestock Crops Markets Hay, Range & Pasture Home & Family Classifieds Resources This Week's Journal
Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizer



Farm Survey


AgriMartin
Journal Getaways

Advertisement
Reader Comment:
by Greater Franklin County

"Thanks for picking up the story about our Buy One Product Local campaign --- we're"....Read the story...
Join other discussions.

Producers continue to cope with drought

Advertisement

South Dakota

The month of January was mostly below normal for temperatures with an average snow depth at the end of the month of 2.0 inches across the state, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service, South Dakota Field Office.

As the winter season progresses, producers continue coping with drought reduced feed supplies and stock water supplies, although these have improved from December somewhat. Livestock were doing well in most areas of the state. County road conditions in the state were rated at 99 percent open and 1 percent difficult. Township road conditions were rated at 95 percent open and 5 percent difficult. Major activities last month included moving snow, caring for livestock, moving hay to winter storage, hauling grain and repairing equipment.

January conditions across the state produced fewer larger precipitation events but several cold outbreaks, according to the State Climate Office of South Dakota. Despite the colder temperature outbreaks later in the month, the state was mostly warmer than average for the month with only a few stations in the southwest below average. The rest of the state was near average to 3 F above average. Average temperatures were in the upper teens north to upper 20s south. The high for the month was 61 F at Sturgis. The coldest temperature was -14 F at Clear Lake and Webster. Most northeast parts of the state fell to double digits below 0 F because of the combination of cold and decent snow cover. Most southern areas (without snow) warmed better with most of those locations reaching the 50s to lower 60s. All locations received precipitation, though generally less than 0.25 inches. Areas from southwest to central parts of the state received heavier amounts of precipitation. The same areas were the only locations above average for the month. Hot Springs had the most at 0.68 inches. Bison had the least precipitation at 0.05 inches. Snow cover was heaviest in the northern and eastern parts of the state. Southern areas had light or no snow cover. Soil temperatures were mostly in the 20s. Beresford and Parkston were the warmest at 30 F; South Shore was the coolest at 17 F.

Some producers have been concerned about the lack of snow cover protection for the winter wheat. Winter wheat condition was rated at 16 percent very poor, 50 percent poor, 31 percent fair, and 3 percent good. Snow cover for winter wheat was rated at 84 percent poor with the remaining 16 percent adequate. Alfalfa snow cover was rated at 62 percent poor and 38 percent adequate.

Feed supplies were rated at 19 percent very short, 29 percent short and 52 percent adequate to surplus, while last year at this time feed supplies were rated at 99 percent adequate to surplus. Stock water supplies were rated at 32 percent very short, 31 percent short, 37 percent adequate. Cattle conditions were rated at 70 percent good to excellent, 28 percent fair and 2 percent poor. Cattle deaths rated at 26 percent below average and 74 percent average for the month. Newborn calf deaths rated 19 percent below average and 81 percent average. Sheep conditions were rated at 78 percent good to excellent condition, 21 percent fair and 1 percent poor, with sheep and lamb deaths from fall crop rated 10 percent below average and 90 percent average.

Date: 2/18/2013



Google
 
Web hpj.com

Copyright 1995-2014.  High Plains Publishers, Inc.  All rights reserved.  Any republishing of these pages, including electronic reproduction of the editorial archives or classified advertising, is strictly prohibited. If you have questions or comments you can reach us at
High Plains Journal 1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd., P.O. Box 760, Dodge City, KS 67801 or call 1-800-452-7171. Email: webmaster@hpj.com

 

Archives Search







Inside Futures

Editorial Archives

Browse Archives