Caution needs to be taken to keep children away from these chemicals. Exposure can have negative short- and long-term health effects on a child's developing body.
Children can be exposed to pesticides on floors and lawns, touching treated pets or eating pesticides-treated foods. Fumes from pesticides that are sprayed can drift into homes; pesticide residue can be tracked in. Unfortunately, many pesticides do not break down quickly. They can remain in dust on the floors, furniture and other surfaces for years.
So what can you do to keep children safe from pesticide exposure? The best answer is to use Integrated Pest Management techniques to manage pests. Inside your home, remove food sources for insects by wiping up spilled liquids and food and repairing any water leaks. Take away places for insects to hide by keeping trash in closed containers, empty it promptly, and keep clutter to a minimum. Outside, seal any cracks or holes where insects can enter.
Copyright 1995-2014. High
Plains Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved. Any republishing
of these pages, including electronic reproduction of the editorial archives
or classified advertising, is strictly prohibited. If you have questions or
comments you can reach us at
High Plains Journal
1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd., P.O. Box 760, Dodge City, KS 67801
or call 1-800-452-7171. Email: