A Mayan Bucket List
By Jennifer M. Latzke
Those crafty Mayans. Centuries after the fall of their civilization, they're getting payback on the world by spinning us all into a tizzy about the end of it.
Pick your apocalyptic scenario--an out-of-control meteor, worldwide weather catastrophes, or just a global economic meltdown--some folks believe that we've only got until December 21, 2012, to get our affairs into order.
That's a shame. I still have a lot left on my Bucket List.
1. I still don't know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop. Nor do I know if alligator tastes like chicken, or just what's the secret ingredient in Coca-Cola.
2. I'd like the chance to spend a lottery windfall. Doesn't have to be mine, but it would be nice if it was. I just know I'd be great at it.
3. I'd like to drop something off of the Eiffel Tower, say a prayer in the Sistine Chapel, ride a double decker bus through London, and enjoy a sample at the top of the Guinness factory in Dublin. I want to ride a bike on the top of The Great Wall of China, ride a camel to the Great Pyramids of Egypt and see Machu Picchu in the foggy dawn hours.
4. I want to reread the Nancy Drew series, the "Little House on the Prairie" books, "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Charlotte's Web."
5. I want to finally get around to reading "Atlas Shrugged," "Pride and Prejudice," and "Les Miserables," among a few others that I've put off out of sheer expected boredom all these years.
6. I'd like to sing a duet with Reba McEntire. I'd like to sing in the chorus of a Broadway show. I'd like to finally get around to making that demo tape I've always talked about.
7. I want to learn how to fly a bush plane in Alaska, drive a motorcycle to Sturgis and race a stock car at Daytona.
8. I still have a long list of National Parks I want to visit, including Yosemite, Denali, the Everglades and Pearl Harbor.
9. Finally learn to roller skate, scuba dive and bungee jump without bodily injury.
10. Discover the answers to poverty, hunger and world peace.
Oh, I'm pretty sure the world won't end Dec. 21, and I'll have plenty of time to get around to this Bucket List of mine. But, it's always good to have inspiration to get around to things that you put off until "someday."
And maybe that's the real lesson of those crafty Mayans.
Jennifer M. Latzke can be reached at 620-227-1807 or email@example.com.