0721WeatherRelatedLivestock.cfm Livestock losses may qualify for indemnity program
Home News Livestock Crops Markets Hay, Range & Pasture Home & Family Classifieds Resources This Week's Journal
Commerical Hay Equipment For The Farm
Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizer

New Video's 03/13/2014
Cattlemen's Video Center

Farm Survey

Journal Getaways

Reader Comment:
by Eliza Winters

"I think that the new emission standards are a great move. I think that the"....Read the story...
Join other discussions.

Livestock losses may qualify for indemnity program


Producers who have lost livestock from the recent wind storms or heat may be eligible for payment through the Livestock Indemnity Program. Iowa State University Extension Beef Program Specialist Denise Schwab said the "Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008" authorized the Livestock Indemnity Program to provide benefits to livestock producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather.

Schwab said producers who think they have losses that might quality should remember that LIP has eligibility requirements and application deadlines.

"To be eligible for LIP, the livestock must be owned by the producer and raised for commercial use as part of a farming operation. Pets or recreational animals do not qualify," Schwab said. "Contract swine or poultry growers also may qualify for lost livestock if they have a written agreement with the livestock owner setting the specific terms, conditions and obligations of the parties involved."

Payment for losses is determined by USDA calculations but is approximately 75 percent of the average fair market value of the livestock, or 75 percent of the average income loss sustained by the contract grower with respect to the dead livestock, she said. Producers also are restricted by other USDA payment limitations.

Producers who suffer livestock death losses should submit a notice of loss and an application for payment to the local Farm Service Agency service center that maintains the farm records for their business. This application needs to be made within 30 calendar days after the loss of livestock was apparent to the producer.

More information is available in the LIP fact sheet at www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/lip2011_158c020211.pdf. People also can contact their local FSA office for details and to apply.

For information on heat and heat stress in beef cattle operations, check out the Iowa Beef Center website at www.iowabeefcenter.org/heatresources.html, or contact your ISU Extension beef program specialist.

IBC was established in 1996 with the goal of supporting the growth and vitality of the state's beef cattle industry. It comprises faculty and staff from ISU Extension, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Veterinary Medicine, and works to develop and deliver the latest research-based information regarding the beef cattle industry. For more information about IBC, visit www.iowabeefcenter.

Web hpj.com

Copyright 1995-2014.  High Plains Publishers, Inc.  All rights reserved.  Any republishing of these pages, including electronic reproduction of the editorial archives or classified advertising, is strictly prohibited. If you have questions or comments you can reach us at
High Plains Journal 1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd., P.O. Box 760, Dodge City, KS 67801 or call 1-800-452-7171. Email: webmaster@hpj.com


Archives Search

NCBA Convention

United Sorghum Checkoff Program

Inside Futures

Editorial Archives

Browse Archives