American Agri-Women convention scholarships available
American Agri-Women is offering scholarships for women to attend their 2009 AAW Annual Convention in Salem, Ore., Nov. 11 to 14. The scholarships are provided by the Helen Whitmore Memorial Fund. The $400 scholarships are offered to encourage an awareness of AAW among young women, to increase their active involvement and to challenge them to have a positive influence on their peers.
The scholarships were named to honor Helen Whitmore, a well-respected rancher and teacher from California, and initiated in 1993 by a friend and AAW past-president Mitzi Ayala Perdue.
They are available to an applicant of any age, who has not attended a past Convention. Only one applicant per affiliate will be accepted.
Recipients do not have to be current AAW members, but must agree to join for the current membership year. If they wish to vote at the current year's convention, dues must be paid to the AAW treasurer by Sept. 30. Recipients are also encouraged to join and actively participate in their local affiliate.
1) Affiliates are encouraged to provide additional funds, if needed, and assist with housing, travel and registration arrangements for their scholarship recipient.
2) Applicants must have an agriculture relationship and interest.
3) The application form must be signed by the applicant and the president/or other designated officer.
4) Scholarship recipients are expected to attend the full convention.
5) Recipients are required to write a report on their convention experience. Reports or excerpts will be used in the AAW Voice and affiliate newsletters.
6) All applications must be postmarked by Aug. 31. Winners and their affiliate president will be notified by September 15th. Affiliate presidents will need to see that the scholarship winners get registered at the early registration rate; all winners are eligible for this rate, but need to get it in as soon as possible.
Applications and further information may be obtained from Peggy Clark, Daughters of American Agriculture, 2274 East Lytle Five Points Road, Dayton OH 45458. Also, applicants are asked to call (937) 885-5965 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to before Aug. 31st to indicate an application is being submitted.
The AAW Resource Center depends upon donations and grants to continue and increase all AAW educational programs and projects. It is a 501 c(3) educational, nonprofit corporation. Donations are tax deductible to the extent of the current IRS regulations.
Regular donations and those made "in honor or in memory" are accepted and acknowledged. Donations may be sent to the AAW Resource Treasurer Carolyn Kleiber, P.O. Box 11, Hillsboro, KS 67063. Contributors may designate funds be applied to either the general fund or to a specific project, such as the Whitmore Fund. Information on other programs is available from the treasurer.